Your first appointment: what to expect
First appointments at Happy Kids Dental start both children and adults on a lifelong journey to great oral health. Here’s what to expect the first time you or your child comes to see us.
Want to see for yourself?
Happy Kids Dental encourages all new patients to come and visit the practice before their first appointment. Come and have a coffee and see our facilities while your kids check out our amazing entertainments!
Watch our video where Dr. Leepika gives tips to prepare your child for their visit to the dentist
Your child's first visit
Your journey at Happy Kids Dental
- No Surprises
We recommend families tour the practice in advance to get a breakdown of everything they can expect beforehand, and to feel at ease in our environment before the first appointment. It’s all about building trust.
- Designated Waiting Areas
When you arrive at Happy Kids Dental, you won’t notice the usual smells and sounds of the dentist’s waiting room - and there’s no need to tell your kids to "shhh!", either! We’ve divided our waiting areas into age-appropriate zones - so toddlers can play to their hearts’ content; teens can have fun with games consoles and iPads; and teens can hang out in a quieter space that’s just for them. For grown-ups, there’s a dedicated area for relaxing, with coffee, refreshments and WiFi on tap.
- Bespoke Care
At Happy Kids Dental, we treat every patient as unique, working carefully to build positive and friendly relationships. For parents, we provide detailed and personalised ‘Happy Smile’ plans that chart your child’s individual dental development.
- Language on your level
Communication is crucial to achieving the results you want – so we don’t do dental jargon at Happy Kids Dental. We’ll take the time to listen to your concerns and aspirations, whether for your own smile or your child’s. All our staff are trained to include children in the decision-making process and speak to them in a way that is non-threatening and easy to understand. We talk children through every procedure and instrument, using gentle persuasion and positive reinforcement. It reduces the fear of the unexpected – and, who knows, could even inspire a new generation of budding dentists!
- A complete assessment
The first visit will last 30 to 45 minutes and will be more in-depth than a regular visit. We want to make sure we get off to a great start with you or your child, and will take all the time you need to explain, reassure and build trust.
What things do we check during your child’s first visit?
- We examine you or your child’s teeth thoroughly - children can choose to sit on their parent’s lap or in the dental chair
- We evaluate children’s eruption patterns, look for signs of cavity development and discuss prevention techniques
- We assess oral hygiene, demonstrate how best to look after teeth and advise on appropriate toothbrushes and toothpastes
- For infants, we’ll advise on teething and caring for those first baby teeth
- We’ll discuss oral habits, providing positive, tailored advice for children with habits such as thumb-sucking or pacifiers. Tooth grinding and other more destructive oral habits will also be discussed if necessary
- We’ll carry out an orthodontic assessment for children and advise if a child is a candidate for early intervention. If you are considering orthodontic treatment for yourself, we may need you to attend a separate consultation
- We’ll talk about your family’s general health, and how certain conditions connect with oral health
- We’ll discuss prevention of injuries and assess your child’s need for a sports guard
Here is a story of one initial appointment at Happy Kids Dental with our little patient Anna and her mother.
Just like adults, children should see their dentist regularly, as their oral clinician advises. Sometimes we may recommend more frequent visits, such as every 3 months, this can build comfort and confidence in the child. More frequent visits can also help keep an eye on a development problem.
What to expect from your first visit to Happy Kids Dental
The first visit to Happy Kids Dental starts with an initial examination. The appointment lasts for 30-45 minutes depending on your child's age.
During an initial examination at Happy Kids Dental, you can expect to receive:
- A comprehensive examination with use of our Carestream Intraoral Camera and DiagnoCam
- Full caries risk assessment and written treatment plan of any required procedures
- A full examination of the teeth, jaws, bite, gums, and oral tissues to check growth and development
- An assessment of how your child’s dental age corresponds to their chronological age
- Diet and nutritional counselling
- Our dentist will show you and your child proper home brushing techniques such as flossing, and advise you on the need for fluoride
- Oral hygiene evaluation
- Formulation of detailed treatment plan and cost estimate
- Discussion of diseases and conditions such as diabetes, congenital heart defect, asthma, plus ADHD and its effect on oral health