Your first appointment: what to expect
First appointments at Happy Kids Dental start both children and adults on a lifelong journey to great oral health. Here’s what to expect the first time you or your child comes to see us.
Want to see for yourself?
Happy Kids Dental encourages all new patients to come and visit the practice before their first appointment. Come and have a coffee and see our facilities while your kids check out our amazing entertainments!
Your journey at Happy Kids Dental
- No Surprises
We recommend families tour the practice in advance to get a breakdown of everything they can expect beforehand, and to feel at ease in our environment before the first appointment. It’s all about building trust.
- Designated Waiting Areas
When you arrive at Happy Kids Dental, you won’t notice the usual smells and sounds of the dentist’s waiting room - and there’s no need to tell your kids to "shhh!", either! We’ve divided our waiting areas into age-appropriate zones - so toddlers can play to their hearts’ content; teens can have fun with games consoles and iPads; and teens can hang out in a quieter space that’s just for them. For grown-ups, there’s a dedicated area for relaxing, with coffee, refreshments and WiFi on tap.
- Bespoke Care
At Happy Kids Dental, we treat every patient as unique, working carefully to build positive and friendly relationships. For parents, we provide detailed and personalised ‘Happy Smile’ plans that chart your child’s individual dental development.
- Language on your level
Communication is crucial to achieving the results you want – so we don’t do dental jargon at Happy Kids Dental. We’ll take the time to listen to your concerns and aspirations, whether for your own smile or your child’s. All our staff are trained to include children in the decision-making process and speak to them in a way that is non-threatening and easy to understand. We talk children through every procedure and instrument, using gentle persuasion and positive reinforcement. It reduces the fear of the unexpected – and, who knows, could even inspire a new generation of budding dentists!
- A complete assessment
The first visit will last around 45 minutes to an hour and will be more in-depth than a regular visit. We want to make sure we get off to a great start with you or your child, and will take all the time you need to explain, reassure and build trust.
What things do we check during your child’s first visit?
- We examine you or your child’s teeth thoroughly - children can choose to sit on their parent’s lap or in the dental chair
- We evaluate children’s eruption patterns, look for signs of cavity development and discuss prevention techniques
- We assess oral hygiene, demonstrate how best to look after teeth and advise on appropriate toothbrushes and toothpastes
- For infants, we’ll advise on teething and caring for those first baby teeth
- We’ll discuss oral habits, providing positive, tailored advice for children with habits such as thumb-sucking or pacifiers. Tooth grinding and other more destructive oral habits will also be discussed if necessary
- We’ll carry out an orthodontic assessment for children and advise if a child is a candidate for early intervention. If you are considering orthodontic treatment for yourself, we may need you to attend a separate consultation
- We’ll talk about your family’s general health, and how certain conditions connect with oral health
- We’ll discuss prevention of injuries and assess your child’s need for a sports guard
- If required, we may carry out gentle cleaning, fluoride treatment and dental x-rays - all of which will be explained fully before any procedure is carried out