Your children’s brains are constantly absorbing information, whether at school, at holiday or at home. As it’s almost time to head back to school, we thought your children may enjoy these fun facts about teeth! Encouraging an interest in oral hygiene can go a long way in promoting a clean, healthy smile for life.
Why not ask your kids if they know these 10 fun facts about teeth?
- The enamel that covers the outer part of the tooth is the hardest substance in the human body!
- Inside each tooth is blood vessels and nerves.
- The side you use to chew your food will be the same as your dominant hand. If you’re right-handed, you’ll chew on the right side of your mouth mostly, and if you’re left handed you’ll mostly use the left side.
- There is nobody else in the whole world who has the same shape teeth as you — your smile is special and completely unique to you.
- Over the course of an average lifetime, humans spend a total of nearly 40 days brushing their teeth. That’s a long time!
- We’re all born with teeth! Most newborns have their teeth hidden under their gums, but sometimes babies are born with one or more teeth showing – quite a surprise for mum and dad! Find out how best to care for your children’s teeth in our blog.
- Young children have 20 baby teeth that fall out and are replaced by adult teeth from about the age of six.
- Adults have more teeth than babies! Most adults have 32 teeth.
- Adults have four types of teeth: molars, premolars, canines and incisors.
- Adults have 12 molars (including 4 wisdom teeth), 8 premolars, 4 canines and 8 incisors.
Did your children enjoy our 10 fun facts about teeth? Can you work with them to discover any more? We’d love to hear them! Let’s work together to instil a love of oral hygiene in your child, by making dentistry fun.
To make an appointment to visit us in Marylebone, use our online booking platform or give us a call on 020 7078 0822.