Invisalign London – Learn About Invisible Braces for Teenagers
Happy Kids Dental in London offer Invisalign Teen treatments which have become a very popular solution for solving various smile issues in teens. Instead of brackets and wires, Invisalign® clear aligners are made of smooth, removable SmartTrack plastic material that’s virtually invisible, allowing your child to smile with confidence, take selfies, play musical instruments and eat their favourite foods.
What is the Invisalign Teen system?
Behind the Invisalign Teen system is an industry-leading team of renowned scientists and engineers, who are continuously innovating to improve the path to a beautiful, straighter smile. Today, the Invisalign Teen system consists of:
- Invisalign Teen, the world’s most advanced clear aligner.
- Digital imaging so you can see your teen’s smile before you begin the treatment.
- Software, showcasing a digital roadmap of your teen’s new smile.
- SmartTrack® material, clinically proven to control the teeth movement.
- Vivera® retainers, to keep the smile of teen for a long time.
How Invisalign Teen works:
Watch a video how Invisalign Teen works
Invisalign treatment differs from traditional non-removable metal brackets because Invisalign comprises a set of a few transparent, custom-moulded clear aligners, which can be removed for up to 2 hours each day. This allows for more freedom in any busy teenager’s lifestyle. Invisalign Teen also has a few special features, designed specifically for teenagers:
- Invisalign Teen comes with blue wear-indicators. These fade from blue to clear on each clear aligner to help you, your orthodontist and your teenager themselves to gauge wear over time.
- Six free replacement aligners are included (in case any get lost or misplaced, e.g. when playing sports).
- Invisalign Teen aligners have special features designed to guide the growth of new teeth (canines, second premolars and second molars), helping them to get to a planned, straighter position.
Conditions which can be treated with Invisalign Teen
Invisalign Teen treatment is clinically proven to be effective. In the hands of experienced orthodontists at Happy Kids Dental, it can be used to treat mild to complex teeth straightening issues.
Specifically, Invisalign Teen can help with the following conditions:
Overly crowded or crooked teeth
Overly crowded teeth can get worse over time, and result in severely crooked teeth. This crowding can lead to plaque accumulation, tooth decay and an increased chance of gum disease.
Spacing issues and gaps between teeth can lead to gum problems (due to lack of protection by the teeth), periodontal pockets and increased risk of periodontal disease.
Deep bite can lead to gum problems or irritation, and/or wear on the lower teeth, and can cause painful jaw and joint problems.
An underbite can prevent the normal function of front teeth or molars, which can lead to tooth wear. It can also cause painful jaw and joint problems.
Open bite can cause poor or painful chewing, and even speech impairment. It can also lead to greater issues like temporomandibular joint disorder (TMJD)
Crossbite causes one or more upper teeth to bite on the inside of the lower teeth. This can cause wear of the teeth, gum disease and bone loss.
Benefits of Invisalign Teen Invisible Braces for Teens:
Invisalign Teen aligners fit into a teenager’s life perfectly. Now teens don’t have to be self-conscious when they are out socially, take school photos, post pictures online, or participate in any of the other activities they love!
- Discreet and clear, Invisalign® makes aligners almost impossible to notice
- Custom designed for each person, creating a more comfortable experience when worn than traditional braces
- Freedom to play contact sports or play musical instruments, because aligners can be removed during the activity
- Teens can eat with freedom, as aligners can be easily removed during mealtimes
Invisalign Teen invisible braces: The benefits to parents:
- Perfect for busy parents: requires 40% less orthodontic appointments, compared to traditional braces
- Shorter appointments, only 10 min appointment every 8 weeks vs 20 min appointment every 6 weeks for traditional braces
- No emergency appointments needed, compared to traditional braces which can need emergency treatment for breakages and loose wires
- Digital treatment planning allows for more precise prediction of treatment results
- Better oral hygiene: clear aligners can be removed for more effective tooth brushing and flossing
How much does Invisalign Teen cost?
At Happy Kids Dental, both Metal Braces and Invisalign Teen are priced at £3,500 . This way your decision will be made purely on what is best for your child. These payments can be broken down into much more affordable monthly plans too.
If you’re ready to take the first steps in transforming your teen’s smile, book your Invisalign consultation and we will happily assess your needs and provide you with a detailed cost breakdown for the best treatment.
Invisalign Teen treatment process:
- The Consultation
Once your Invisalign Provider has confirmed you’re eligible for treatment, they will take photos, X-rays and digital scans, or a dental impression, of your teeth. These records will be used to create a ClinCheck® 3D treatment plan, just for you.
- The Aligners
After being custom-made and shipped to your Provider’s office, you’ll receive a series of aligners to wear every day and change at home – on average every 1-2 weeks.
- The Results
You’ll visit your Provider around every 6-8 weeks to monitor progress and receive new aligners. After finishing your treatment plan, retainers will be required to maintain your new smile.
Watch our patient Marco Talk about his Invisalign experience
Watch Lincoln talk about Invisalign aligners
Invisalign Teen Q&A
Parents and teens often ask us questions about Invisalign Teen braces when they come to visit our team of orthodontists at Happy Kids Dental.
We’ve answered some of the most common questions here:
Braces can help improve your teen’s smile and make their teeth straighter. Invisalign Teen braces can also improve your teen’s dental health and overall health, since untreated problems with bite can interfere with eating, especially chewing. If your teen has a bad bite, they might also be prone to cavities or gum disease because it may be hard for them to clean their teeth.
Invisalign Teen has been specifically developed with teenagers, parents and leading orthodontists who understand the active lifestyles and unique treatment needs of teenage patients. The SmartTrack material of Invisalign clear aligners is clinically proven to improve control of tooth movement. And over 1.6 million teenagers have transformed their smile with Invisalign Teen.
There is no official minimum age limit for Invisalign Teen treatment, but patients must have most of their adult teeth and be old enough to adhere to the regimen of wearing the aligners for 22 hours a day. It is an individual decision - some preteens will meet these requirements, and some teenagers will not.
There are many different types of braces available for teens. At Happy Kids Dental, we offer all modern teeth-straightening solutions. Each case is different, because it depends on the biological age of the child as well as on his/her dental age. For some teenagers, Invisalign Teen would be the best solution but, in more complex cases, we might recommend other types of braces. The best solution is to schedule a consultation with an expert orthodontist and discover what type of treatment would suit your teen.
One of the most common questions we hear about Invisalign Teen treatment is whether or not it is painful. With traditional metal braces, the pain the patient feels might never be intense, but there is a certain amount of pain that comes with this type of orthodontic treatment. Invisalign is often advertised as less painful than metal braces. Still, there may be a degree of discomfort to begin with - such as a bit of aching and tenderness in the gums - as the teeth start to move. This usually settles down within a few days. The amount of discomfort varies significantly from person to person, and you can read more about it in our blog.
Parents and teenagers always ask if Invisalign Teen can affect food intake or if diet habits will have to be changed. The simple answer is no! We suggest taking out the aligners during meal times and cleaning your teeth afterwards by chewing some sugarless gum or brushing your teeth, before putting the aligners back in. For optimum results, it’s recommended to wear the aligners for at least 22 hours per day.
Teenagers always ask how they can chew gum with Invisalign braces - but we recommend against it. Our suggestion is to remove your Invisalign braces during meal times then, after the meal, chew some sugarless gum because it is a good way to get saliva flowing in the mouth. Saliva helps wash away food particles from your teeth and gums, and helps prevent oral health problems such as tooth decay. Chewing is the most efficient way to stimulate salivary flow and clinical studies have shown that chewing sugarless gum for 20 minutes following meals can help prevent tooth decay.
The main advantages of Invisalign Teen are:
- They’re virtually invisible
- They’re removable for better cleaning, eating, playing sports or musical instruments
- They’re BPA-free of harmful toxins
The main drawback is:
- They’re not suitable for rule-breakers! You need to diligently follow the treatment plan because, if the aligners aren’t worn for at least 22 hours a day, the results might differ from what you expect, or the process may take longer.
It’s important to know all the details before you decide to get fitted with clear aligners. You can read more about the pros and cons of Invisalign Teen in our blog.